Monday, October 02, 2006

Passed vs. passed

So, I don’t know if this is the case for everyone – but, I don’t mind actually “being the new guy,” I just hate “looking” like the new guy. And here I am in a culture that is so foreign to me, age 30, starting a new career in an industry that I have little experience – and I AM THE NEW GUY. I’ve done A LOT of research and studying, but I it’s like college – nothing you do there really prepares you for the “real world.”

So here was my first “new guy” moment.

Last night we were having dinner with a friend of ours who is an actor, and who’s show just got picked up and will start filming in late October. So we’re talking about it, and she mentions that they are actually in the process right now of re-casting one of the roles because one of the actresses “passed.” (Now maybe it’s my Southern heritage, or perhaps it’s my recent experiences with death – but I took that statement to mean that the actress had died.)

INTERNAL MONOLOGUE: Oh my gosh. How sad for Megahn and her group that has literally worked years to get this pilot picked up. They have been through so much – working and pitching this idea and now to have finally gotten someone to sign on to produce it – this tragedy occurs. How can she be so calm about it? How could this not have devastated her? This is JUST LIKE RENT!

EXTERNAL DIALOGUE: “I am so sorry to hear about your friend who died.”

SILENCE……(chirp, chirp)

“Huh?”

“Your friend who passed away.”

GLOSSARY of PRODUCTION TERMS: Passed - decided not to accept the role, not die.

So those Sketchers were tasting pretty tasty right about then.

So, in the future – I’ll be keeping my mouth CLOSED until I am certain I know what I’m talking about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home