Week One
Training Day #1
Before
Excited and nervous. Both are pulsating through my veins as I prepare for my first day of training. I keep in mind that today will be light – it’s a “kick-off” after all and we are only running a mile. But I can’t help but think, what I have I done? 13 miles. Thirteen miles. 3 ½ hours of running. Potentially less. But Disneyland is a timed course. I have to finish in 3.5 or be picked up by a car. I’m not getting picked up by a car. So I sit nervously. Watching the clock and waiting to leave for this next step.
After
Back from Training Day #1 and I realize that I have nothing to worry about. Sixth to finish our first mile. I felt good. I felt comfortable. But it was HOT! We didn’t start our mile until 10:45am (after orientation) which put the temp in the valley at about 90+ degrees. I think I’ll stick with running in the morning, that mile felt like 2.
The program we are running with – Train to End Stroke – benefits the American Stroke Association. In order to receive their training & benefits in preparation for this half marathon, we each have to raise $2100 for the association. So, if running more than I’ve ever run in my life wasn’t hard enough, we have to raise a combined total of $4200. This makes me more than a little nervous. But, sitting today and hearing how the funds are used, makes me hopeful. One lady shared her story. At the age of 27, she suffered a stroke. I couldn’t believe this! 27? No offense to my elders, but I really equated stroke to age. While age can be a factor, it is not the only factor. Because of funded research at the UCLA hospital, this woman not only survived the stroke but fully recovered. She was able to receive a cutting edge treatment quickly that led to her full recovery. She was fortunate that she lived near one of these research facilities that receives funding from the American Stroke Association. Without that treatment her life would be drastically different. The funds we raise go towards more research and putting treatments like hers in more hospitals. I am excited to be a part of making that happen. The $4200 we raise will literally save and change lives.
Before
Excited and nervous. Both are pulsating through my veins as I prepare for my first day of training. I keep in mind that today will be light – it’s a “kick-off” after all and we are only running a mile. But I can’t help but think, what I have I done? 13 miles. Thirteen miles. 3 ½ hours of running. Potentially less. But Disneyland is a timed course. I have to finish in 3.5 or be picked up by a car. I’m not getting picked up by a car. So I sit nervously. Watching the clock and waiting to leave for this next step.
After
Back from Training Day #1 and I realize that I have nothing to worry about. Sixth to finish our first mile. I felt good. I felt comfortable. But it was HOT! We didn’t start our mile until 10:45am (after orientation) which put the temp in the valley at about 90+ degrees. I think I’ll stick with running in the morning, that mile felt like 2.
The program we are running with – Train to End Stroke – benefits the American Stroke Association. In order to receive their training & benefits in preparation for this half marathon, we each have to raise $2100 for the association. So, if running more than I’ve ever run in my life wasn’t hard enough, we have to raise a combined total of $4200. This makes me more than a little nervous. But, sitting today and hearing how the funds are used, makes me hopeful. One lady shared her story. At the age of 27, she suffered a stroke. I couldn’t believe this! 27? No offense to my elders, but I really equated stroke to age. While age can be a factor, it is not the only factor. Because of funded research at the UCLA hospital, this woman not only survived the stroke but fully recovered. She was able to receive a cutting edge treatment quickly that led to her full recovery. She was fortunate that she lived near one of these research facilities that receives funding from the American Stroke Association. Without that treatment her life would be drastically different. The funds we raise go towards more research and putting treatments like hers in more hospitals. I am excited to be a part of making that happen. The $4200 we raise will literally save and change lives.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home